Changes for Teaching-Stream Faculty
The University and the University of Toronto Faculty Association (UTFA) recently reached an agreement that includes new teaching-stream provisions amending the Policy and Procedures on Academic Appointments (PPAA). The amendments received final approval by Governing Council on June 25, 2015.
These changes signify the importance of the teaching stream at the University of Toronto. Our teaching-stream faculty make an enormous contribution to the University through their superlative teaching skills, creative educational leadership, and effective innovations in teaching that enhance undergraduate and professional graduate education. The strength of our teaching-stream complement has made the University of Toronto a global leader in teaching innovation and a model for other universities provincially and nationally. To recognize this excellence, professorial ranks and titles have been established for teaching-stream faculty.
There is a one-time only opportunity for current full-time members of the teaching stream to elect to opt into the revised PPAA. Full-time teaching-stream faculty in continuing appointments employed at the University prior to July 1, 2015 received a letter on June 26, 2015 outlining this process. See specific timelines for specific faculty groups. For teaching-stream faculty who wish to opt in, the signed letter must be received by the Office of Faculty & Academic Life by December 31, 2015. The signed letter can be emailed to email@example.com.
See a summary of the amendments to the PPAA affecting teaching-stream faculty.
See the unamended PPAA.
See the amended PPAA.
The PPAA amendments that have impacted the teaching stream include the following changes:
- The introduction of professorial ranks and titles for full-time appointments:
- Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream (Conditional)
- Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream
- Associate Professor, Teaching Stream
- Professor, Teaching Stream
- For full-time appointments to the continuing-status teaching stream:
- Initial four-year teaching-stream appointments
- Mandatory interim review
- Two-year reappointment following successful review and a term of teaching and service workload adjustment
- A review for promotion to continuing status and Associate Professor, Teaching Stream in Year 6
- A contractually limited term appointment category for the teaching stream for full-time appointments of one, two, or three years’ duration, up to a maximum of five years.
For teaching-stream faculty who elect to opt in, these ranks will be effective on the following dates:
- Most Lecturers will have received individual letters on June 26, 2015. Those who elected to opt -in will hold the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream on January 1, 2016.
- Lecturers currently eligible for promotion by October 2015 will (upon a successful review) receive an individual letter. Those who elect to opt in will hold the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream on January 1, 2016 and Associate Professor, Teaching Stream on July 1, 2016.
- New Lecturers in continuing full-time appointments will receive individual opt-in letters in the near future.
- All Senior Lecturers will have received individual letters on June 26, 2015. Those who elect to opt in will be able to use the new rank of Associate Professor, Teaching Stream once they received an acknowledgement of their election form from the Office of the Vice-Provost, Faculty & Academic Life.
New appointments to the teaching stream hired after June 26, 2015 will be hired under the revised PPAA.
The information on this site provides guidance for faculty about the promotion process at the University of Toronto. For complete details, refer to the policies which are binding and take precedence over the information provided here.